SEIU Healthcare IL IN MO KS is a dynamic, action-oriented union representing 95,000 healthcare and child care workers throughout Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Kansas. We believe in a society defined by freedom and justice, where we can all have quality education, health care and jobs, and where we all can live a full and plentiful life of our choosing. SEIU HCIIMK’s mission is to organize together to build power and demand and win social and economic justice for our communities.
Location: Chicago, IL
Duties and Responsibilities:
A Campaign Communications Specialist performs a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program or a specific campaign. Examples of those duties and responsibilities include:
- Working collaboratively with other staff to develop and execute communications strategies to build membership and advance campaigns.
- Train and develop members to tell their stories and deliver their message publicly.
- Writing, editing and producing original content including leaflets, direct mail, email and text blasts, recorded audio messages and content for the union’s newsletter and website.
- Producing publications in-house and with graphic designers, commercial printers and fulfillment houses.
Media Monitoring & Outreach
- Framing member issues for print, broadcast and online media.
- Drafting media advisories, releases, fact sheets, press kits, leaflets, talking points, op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Monitoring media markets within our jurisdiction for coverage relating to the Union’s campaigns and issues.
- Maintaining and updating media clip files and media contact lists.
- Assist in creating and implementing comprehensive media campaigns, including both paid and earned media, to advance campaigns.
- Organize press conferences and other events to publicize the Local’s message.
Online Communications & New Media
- Utilize online tools to communicate with members, general public and elected officials about the Local’s positions and work.
- Create and maintain campaign-specific websites as needed.
- Place content on the Local’s website using an online content management system (knowledge of HTML not required).
- Identify opportunities to use online media to build membership, educate the public and/or elected officials, and advance campaigns.
And other duties as needed.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
A Campaign Communications Specialist must be able to work independently on assigned projects and meet established deadlines. A Campaign Communications Specialist must also be able to work collaboratively with other Union staff—both members of the communications team, and from other departments—and work with the Communications Coordinator to develop plans and strategies.
May be required to work long and irregular hours, and to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Basic understanding of the principles of organizing.
- Working knowledge and understanding of labor, political and community issues impacting working people.
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire others and participate in key union organizing activities even in the face of employer opposition and intimidation.
- Desire to learn about labor history, collective bargaining, organizing models and other relevant information, and ability to support others in doing the same.
- Strong writing and proofreading ability.
- Ability to understand and tailor messages to an audience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), database, email, internet required; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign) preferred.
- Familiarity with digital photography, using advanced point-and-shoot camera.
- Ability to learn online content management systems and online communications tools to deliver blast emails, text messages, etc.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills appropriate to working closely with members and staff, including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and deliver on short-term and long-term communications strategy goals.
- Successful candidate shall possess relevant education and/or experience in communications and political, labor or community campaigns.
- Good and ethical judgment. Willingness to take initiative, to work with a team.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Company-paid Benefits are included.