SEIU Healthcare Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Kansas (HCIIMK) is a dynamic, action-oriented union representing over 90,000 healthcare and child care workers throughout the Midwest. The Communications Manager will be a key member of the union’s communications team, strategizing, managing and prioritizing communications to advance the union’s organizing, political, bargaining, legislative, and community campaigns. The Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director.
Location: Chicago, IL
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, train and develop our team of communications specialists.
- Craft and manage a union-wide internal communications plan that moves the union’s narrative for member-to-member communications.
- Manage the development of divisional campaign strategies, as well as participate in the development of message frames for external audiences.
- Monitor the execution of campaign tactics implemented by the communications specialists.
- Organize, create and lead communications trainings for union leaders, staff, and members.
- Develop systems for identifying, compiling and tracking member stories that demonstrate the struggles that members and low wage working families face.
- Work through the Communications Director to integrate field communications with overall earned media and message plans and strategies.
- Other organizing/campaign duties as needed.
Scope and Nature of Supervision
- The Communications Manager must exhibit leadership skills and be able to work independently on assigned projects and meet established deadlines. The Communications Manager must also be able to work collaboratively with other Union staff—both members of the communications team, and from other departments—and work with the Communications Director to develop plans and strategies.
Criteria for Evaluation
- The Communications Manager will be evaluated on his/her ability and skill in assisting the Local in implementing and developing a communications strategy that advances the Local’s campaigns.
- May be required to work long and irregular hours, and to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to lead within a team to move communication program forward.
- Demonstrated experience drafting a communications plan and conducting media relations.
- Write, edit and produce original content, including leaflets, direct mail, email and text blasts, recorded audio messages and content for the union’s newsletters and social media sites.
- Prepare media advisories, releases, fact sheets, press kits, leaflets, talking points, op-eds, speeches, letters to the editor
- Organize press conferences and other events to publicize the Local’s message.
- Train and develop member spokespeople to deliver our message.
- Monitor media markets within our jurisdiction for coverage relating to the Union’s campaigns and issues.
- Maintain and update media clip files and media contact lists.
- Utilize online tools to communicate with members, general public and elected officials about the Local’s positions and work.
- Create, maintain and update campaign-specific websites as needed (knowledge of HTML not required).
- Identify opportunities to use online media to build membership, educate the public and/or elected officials, and advance campaigns.
- Produce publications in-house and with graphic designers, commercial printers and fulfillment houses.
Salary and Benefits
- At least four years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in communications and/or organizing or political campaigns.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the labor movement and issues affecting working people
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute email and social media campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and work under tight deadlines
- Talent to adapt and learn quickly, and keep others informed/together in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Well-organized, thorough, and attentive to details
- Strong relationship builder
- Excellent computer skills including internet-based research, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, desktop publishing software, and email and social media tools
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within the context of a plan
- Demonstrated experience and ability to speak comfortably before a group
- Spanish language proficiency a plus
- Ability and willingness to work long and extended hours including weekends
- Ability to travel when necessary
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits included.