SEIU Healthcare Illinois & Indiana (HCII) is a dynamic, action-oriented union representing over 90,000 healthcare and child care workers throughout the Midwest. As one of the largest and fastest growing affiliates of the Service Employees International Union, SEIU Healthcare Illinois & Indiana is dedicated to building power for low-wage workers on the job and in their communities. We are committed to developing legislative and policy capacity to strengthen our bargaining, organizing, member mobilization, and political programs on issues such as healthcare, living wages and the right to organize.
Location: Chicago, IL (with travel to Springfield, IL)
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with elected and non-elected state officials and their staffs as well as other research, advocacy, and community groups, and other organizations.
- Lobby elected and non-elected officials and advocate on issues related to SEIU HCII's policy and legislative agenda.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a strategic policy agenda, in collaboration with SEIU HCII's political, policy, and organizing staff.
- Draft and monitor legislation on various issues related to SEIU HCII's policy and legislative agenda
- Participate in negotiations on legislation, rule making, and budget issues as a representative of SEIU HCII
- Assist in planning and implementing policy agendas and strategies by producing white papers, fact sheets, talking points, testimonies, and other materials as needed.
- Coordinate SEIU HCII's public policy priorities, in collaboration with the Legislative Director, the Director of Government Relations and other senior staff.
- Serve as SEIU HCII representative in various stakeholder groups, coalitions, and advisory council.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and manage internal databases that support legislative tracking and reporting.
- Seasonal campaign & election work required.
- Assist on other policy and legislative projects as needed.
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice
- At least two years of policy and/or legislative experience with a labor union, political advocacy organization, or community organization
- Strong strategic, quantitative, and analytic skills, with specific skills of policy/legislation analysis
- Experience/expertise in policy development, with focus on health care, child care, and/or labor policy
- Strong writing, verbal communication, editing and proofreading skills
- Strong relationship skills
- Ability to frame issues for different audiences
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); ability to be trained as needed on additional software
- Willingness to work with a team, as well as independently
- Flexibility to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends; ability to travel as needed, between Chicago and Springfield, IL.
Salary and Benefits:
- Position offers competitive salary and benefits that take into account experience and skill level.
- SEIU Healthcare Illinois & Indiana is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and women are encouraged to apply.